Monday, July 18, 2011

Harry Potter Costumes





Last week myself and my 3 older girls (ages 11, 9 and 7) were anticipating the opening day of Harry Potter 7 pt. 2. Of course the girls wanted to dress up as their favorite characters (Hermione and Luna Lovegood) so that took me to my sewing machine once again. I went and bought some cheap black fabric (Hutterite fabric to be precise)and these are the costumes I created. The Gryffindor tie is too narrow so I need to redo it but here is the link to the tutorial for the cloak.

http://diyfashion.about.com/od/costumes/ss/gryffindor_robe.htm

There are a few things I did differently though. I didn't think it would be right for the cloak not to have a hood so I added on which definately complicates but not too much. I also did not have enough fabric to do a full lining so I just made facings for the front/neck edge and the sleeves to make it look lined. Plus lining would have made it really hot to wear. Also make sure when you are tracing your body that you make it WIDE enough around the middle. If you have questions as to how I added the hood etc. just ask and I will send instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment