Monday, July 18, 2011

Harry Potter Costumes




Last week myself and my 3 older girls (ages 11, 9 and 7) were anticipating the opening day of Harry Potter 7 pt. 2. Of course the girls wanted to dress up as their favorite characters (Hermione and Luna Lovegood) so that took me to my sewing machine once again. I went and bought some cheap black fabric (Hutterite fabric to be precise)and these are the costumes I created. The Gryffindor tie is too narrow so I need to redo it. Here is the link to the tutorial for the cloak.

http://diyfashion.about.com/od/costumes/ss/gryffindor_robe.htm

There are a few things I did differently though. I didn't think it would be right for the cloak not to have a hood so I added one which complicates it but not too much. I also did not have enough fabric to do a full lining so I just made facings for the front/neck edge and the sleeves to make it look lined. Plus lining would have made it really hot to wear. I didn't have time to order an expensive Gryffindor or Ravenclaw patch so I printed them off on iron-on transfer paper, ironed them onto white broadcloth and then sewed them on to each cloak. I think it really adds that extra detail. If you have questions as to how I added the hood etc. just ask and I will send you instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment